About the Training
- Gresham, OR
- April 25 – 28, 2024
- SMC Doula Training Manual
- Orientation Packet
- SMC Full Circle Doula Provisional Certificate (Upon completion)
This is a 4-day (32 hours) in-person doula training for dual certification as a labor and postpartum doula. This training is the first step, and required, to become a certified SMC Full Circle Doula Companion. This is culturally competent training that honors the legacy of the 20th Century African American midwife to improve birth outcomes, increase breastfeeding, and build leadership.
DAY 1 – Thursday, 9 AM – 6:30 PM: Orientation, SMC Full Circle Doula Philosophy, African American Midwives, U.S. Doula History.
DAY 2 – Friday, 9 AM – 6:30 PM: Prenatal Care, Nutrition, Herbs, Infant Mortality Prevention.
DAY 3 – Saturday, 9 AM – 6:30 PM: Labor and Delivery, Comfort Measures
DAY 4 – Sunday, 9 AM – 6:30 PM: Postpartum and Infant Care, Breastfeeding, Creating a Doula Business.
What You Will Learn
The 4-Day training is packed full of learning, sharing, receiving, and creating friendships. Honoring the legacy of the African American midwife we demonstrated how pregnancy support reduces premature births and how postpartum care prevents maternal exhaustion in the postpartum experience, by using resources, and hands-on and culturally competent care.
Unique Topics include and extend beyond
- African birth traditions and postpartum rituals
- Public health in maternal and infant health
- Reducing maternal morbidity
- Improving birth outcomes
- Causes of maternal mortality
- The legacy of the 20th Century African American midwife
- Supporting fatherhood/partners and family
- Belly binding and wrapping
- Postpartum baths
- Herbs and nutrition
- Medical terminology
- SMC Doula Scope of Care
- Advocacy and empowerment
- Systemic Racism in perinatal care
- Professionalism and leadership
- Traditional Midwifery Model of Care
Practice from Cultural Knowledge
Having a dual certification as a labor and postpartum doula is crucial to providing comprehensive care to help a pregnant person throughout the reproductive cycle. Furthermore, when you learn labor and postpartum skills simultaneously, it provides the opportunity to give comprehensive doula care.
Our training draws on the centuries-old traditions of African and African American midwives and healers, that kept us connected to physiological birth and the joys of service to birthing women and their families. The training is based on the legacy of the 20th Century African American midwife, public health information, and research-based practices.
The training incorporates lectures, instructional materials, learner interactions, and hands-on learning opportunities to provide a truly holistic training experience.
Instructors are SMC Certified Trainers who are veteran doulas and midwives. You can learn more here.
- SMC Full Circle Doula Philosophy, an abstract by Shafia Monroe Download PDF — 10-pages
- The Doula Guide to Birth, by Ananda Lowe and Rachel Zimmerman
- Listen to Me Good, Life Story of an Alabama Midwife, by Margaret Charles Smith and Linda Janet Holmes
These materials are available on Amazon or possibly through your local library.
All the above books and materials should be read before the first day of class.
The fee for SMC’s Full Circle Doula Companion in-person training course is currently $ 1,623.